No Texas driver plans to be involved in a Texas car accident, yet every day hundreds of individuals across the Lone Star State find themselves in just such a predicament. Those that have considered the steps they must complete following a car crash ahead of time are at a distinct advantage over those who have not. Having considered the tasks to be completed after a car crash and having a plan in place helps individuals move swiftly to protect their legal rights and preserve their ability to pursue compensation if the crash is the result of another driver’s negligence.
Five Steps to Take After a Car Wreck
In most every circumstance, the following five steps should be taken if you have been involved in a car wreck:
- Summon emergency medical assistance and/or law enforcement: At the very least, you will want law enforcement to be present at the scene to complete an accident report (which, in turn, will assist you in your efforts at recovering compensation).
- Seek medical evaluation and treatment: Unless you are absolutely certain you did not sustain any serious injuries in the crash, it is always a good idea to get evaluated by your doctor or in a hospital emergency room and to obtain treatment for any injuries. Be certain you keep copies of your medical records and bills/invoices, as these will be important when and if you choose to file a lawsuit.
- Write down details of the crash: As soon as possible, you should write down as much as you remember about the crash, including what you were doing before the wreck and how the wreck occurred. If you were able to obtain the name and contact information of any witnesses while you were at the scene of the crash, include this information along with information about the driver (name, contact information, insurance information, physical description, etc.).
- Speak with an attorney about your case: You will want to move quickly to assert your legal rights if your car crash was the result of another driver’s negligence. By speaking with an attorney early in the process, your attorney can better advise and guide you through the remainder of the recovery process.
- Speak with your insurance carrier: While you will need to report the accident to your insurance carrier, you should not give a statement to your insurance adjuster (or any other insurance company’s adjuster) without first discussing the matter with your attorney so that you do not unwittingly impair your ability to recover compensation.
How Your Attorney Will Help You
Our team of experienced and dedicated Texas car crash lawyers are available to help you obtain financial compensation for your car crash injuries by evaluating your case and pursuing a lawsuit against the at-fault party or parties responsible for your losses and expenses. Contact us today by phone or online and enlist our assistance in your quest for monetary damages following a Texas car crash.